History & Museum
On April 8th, 1949, the Okanagan Landing and District Community Association came into being under the Societies Act. The object of the Society is to promote social, recreational, educational, and cultural activities among its members; to improve the conditions of and advance in every way community life and affairs in the Landing area; and to provide suitable buildings and grounds for the furtherance of such objectives.
The Museum is open to the public and admission is by donation.
Open – July & August, Thursday to Sunday from 12 am to 4 pm or by appointment for group tours all year, please call (250) 558-4233.
Over 100 years ago, the area known as Paddlewheel Park was the site of CPR shipbuilding and a bustling centre of commerce. It was here that the sternwheel steamships Aberdeen, Okanagan, Sicamous, and the tugboat Naramata were constructed.
Before the rise of the automobile, journey by ship was the fastest and easiest way to travel in the Okanagan. The lake boats would have carried everything needed for daily life and commerce. Ships were the only reliable and efficient way for mail, people and cargo to travel. The Station House was the primary facility to board the Sternwheelers.
When the railroad withdrew its services in 1936, the Station House passed into private hands. In 1982 it was donated to the Okanagan Landing & District Community Association by Wes and Kay Whitehead. The heritage building now serves our community as a museum and repository for historical memorabilia, an amazing 21′ x 4′ scale model depicting Okanagan Landing in 1914 when sternwheelers provided the only transportation from Vernon to Penticton and photos from our past.